UPDATE & Remote Learning Plan & Digital Learning Resources including student information12th March 2020
Open Letter to all Students18th March 2020
12th March 2020
SCHOOL CLOSURE with effect from 6pm (Thursday, 12th March 2020) until Monday, 30th March 2020
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has made an announcement today on RTE news that the country’s schools, colleges and childcare facilities are to close in response to the Covid-19 pandemic. We did not have advance notice of this decision. However, HFSS has been working to a contingency plan for such a potential outcome and have a remote teaching and learning plan and school emergency closure protocols in place. From 6pm today (12th March 2020), schools, colleges and childcare facilities will close.
We consider the health and wellbeing of all in our school community to be our highest priority. Now is the time to channel our many strengths and work together, to remain sensible, measured and calm.
Staying safe and well
- Social distancing and personal hygiene personal responsibility remains the consistent advice in our response to tackling the spread of Covid-19.
- We ask all in our school community to be proactive and responsible at this time of school closure and to lean in to support each other, we can all be active citizens and play our part.
- Practice everyday preventive actions that can help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects daily (e.g., tables, countertops, light switches, doorknobs, and cabinet handles) using a regular household detergent and water.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Always wash your hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
HSE live helpline 1850 24 1850
- Please be advised that we have information on all of our news mediums for the school community to date. We disseminate all updates from the Chief Medical Officer and the HSE.
Teaching & Learning
- Our teaching staff have remote digital learning strategies in place for this event. Our students will follow their regular school timetable as home school for the next two weeks. This means, that students may be supervised by their parent(s)/guardian(s) in ensuring that the school work prescribed by their teachers is completed (see following information)
Your cooperation and understanding at this time is much appreciated.
S. Allen, Principal
HOLY FAMILY SECONDARY SCHOOL
Set aside a work space.
Follow the normal school day timetable.
Do your very best and remember that we will be back in our normal school routine shortly.
HFSS Teachers have prepared remote learning tasks/assignments for all subjects, include wellbeing, PE and RE. This will keep our students motivated, focused and learning. Our teachers will also be remote teaching and checking in with their class groups on TEAMS, OFFICE 365.
- All students have a school email address (xxxxholyfamily.ie and password) so they can use Outlook on www.office.com.
- Teachers will not contact via other personal emails.
Students have codes at the front of their book and usually there are instructions on how to register for the e-books. Sometimes students need to put in some personal information to register so ideally this should be done at home with parents/guardians. Follow the instructions in the e-book or on the book publisher website.
Digital Learning: Student Information guidance sheet attached
How to access TEAMS: Guidance sheet with infographics attached.
All of these attachments are also available on our school website www.holyfamily.ie
A very useful application for moving photos from phone/IPad/tablet directly to your Office 365 account is Office Lens (watch video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzZ3WVhgi5w
Remote learning with Office 365: Guidance for parents and guardians document https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/remote-learning-with-office-365-guidance-for-parents-and-guardians-89d514f9-bf5e-4374-a731-a75d38ddd588